Re: 2 oracle applications on the running on the same computer?

From: Aurelio Martin <amartin_at_traza-si.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:05:09 +0200

"mr" <t_at_t.com> escribió en el mensaje news:20020514.143538.1037127828.32202_at_t.com...
> In article <3CE164A2.9625026F_at_exesolutions.com>, "Daniel Morgan"
> <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> thanks Dan for your answer.
>
> our situation is that we cannot have a client workstation use 2
> applications that are oracle aware. app1 uses oracle srv/db1 while app2
> uses oracle srv/db2. what happens is that both installations will right
> to the registry of the client and point to the oracle db. just having
> one app works great. however, when we use 2 apps that point to different
> oracle db/servers, then the last app to get installed get precedence
> because of the rewrite to the regestry. have you seen this with oracle
> apps. i have just started to look into this problem with my db person.
>
> thanks for any help
>
> > mr wrote:
> >
> >> hello all,
> >>
> >> i was wondering if this is true. a developer who we use told us that
> >> you cannot run 2 oracle applications (one app using oracle db server1
> >> and the other app using another oracle db server) at the same time on a
> >> win9x/nt/2000/xp desktop environment.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >
> > Untrue.
> >
> > But why you would want to is another matter entirely.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

You can have connections to multiple db servers simultaneously, even in one program ( E.g., TOAD ), not to mention different programs connecting to different db servers. SQL*Net can handle it. This problem seems to be related to your application. It seems to have been programmed to read the connection information from some key in the registry. Talk to your developer to change this, so you can select at runtime which db server you want to connect to.

Hope this helps

    Aurelio Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 13:05:09 CEST

Original text of this message