Discoverer versions

From: Paul Moore <gustav_at_morpheus.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:21:01 +0200

This may me a really stupid question, but I have tried unsuccessfully to find the information, from Oracle's website(s), from the net, and pretty much anywhere else I could think of.

Can anyone give me some background on the various versions of Oracle Discoverer? I have seen mention of Discoverer 3.0, 3i (3.1?), 4i and Oracle 9iAS Discoverer (as well as vague mentions of yet more versions, such as Discoverer 6i and 9i...)

I'm particularly interested in knowing more about 3i and 4i - which one is current, when is either version likely to become obsolete, what are the significant differences.

The background is that I am setting up Business Intelligence for Oracle Apps 11i, and that requires Discoverer. I have been told that I can use either Discoverer 3i or 4i, but I don't have any information to help me make a rational decision as to which is more appropriate. Also, as future versions of Apps 11i are expected to be based on 9iAS, I need to know whether this has any impact (hence the interest in 9iAS Discoverer).

One key issue is whether we need to be looking at a separate server for Discoverer - I have been told that 3i can be installed on the same server as the 11i system, whereas 4i requires a separate server. Clearly, this has a significant impact in what we do. And it also raises the question of whether the 9iAS-based Apps will run in single-node form, if Discoverer requires its own node.

Any information would help, even if it's just a pointer to the right website to look at. Oracle's websites seem hopeless, as they hardly mention anything other than the absolute latest version...

Thanks in advance,
Paul Moore Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 12:21:01 CEST

Original text of this message