Re: Oracle Windows service does not start DB

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:49:03 +0200

[Quoted] "Stjepan Brbot" <stjepan.brbot_at_zg.hinet.hr> wrote in message news:abfo5p$7ian$1_at_as201.hinet.hr...
> On my computer (Windows 2000 Pro) I have installed Oracle 8.1.7 EE. and
> only one DB instance. Also, Oracle service on Windows is set to be
> started manually and instance to be started automatically upon starting
> the service.
>
> Firstly everithing was working fine but few weeks ago (after Windows
> found some disk problems and successfully solved them) something strange
> is happening.
>
> When I start service manually in command prompt:
> D:\>net start OracleServiceXYZ
>
> I got the following:
> D:\>net start OracleServiceXYZ
> The OracleServiceXYZ service is starting.....
> The OracleServiceXYZ service was started successfully.
>
> Even it seems that everything is OK, it's not. I cannot connect on this
> DB. When I try connection on DB I got this message:
> "ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist"
>
> Then I have to start SVRMGRL, connect as INTERNAL and STARTUP database
> manually "once again", after that DB is started and works.
> --
>
> D:\>svrmgrl
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
> Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning option
> JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
> SVRMGR> connect internal
> Connected.
> SVRMGR> startup
> ORACLE instance started.
> Total System Global Area 73127964 bytes
> Fixed Size 75804 bytes
> Variable Size 56197120 bytes
> Database Buffers 16777216 bytes
> Redo Buffers 77824 bytes
> Database mounted.
> Database opened.
> SVRMGR> exit
> Server Manager complete.
>
> D:\>
>
> --
> Before problems with disk when I started service (and DB) manually I was
> getting:
> D:\>net start OracleServiceXYZ
> The OracleServiceXYZ service is
> starting................................................................
> The OracleServiceXYZ service was started successfully.
>
> Notice much more dots (and time of course) after "The OracleServiceXYZ
> service is starting". Before I had two instances, firstly they both
> worked fine but after this disk problem the same situation occured with
> service for second instance. I had to start it using SVRMGRL.
>
> --
>
> So question is how to solve problem with service to automatically and
> correctly start database instance?
>
> --
>
> Stjepan Brbot

[Quoted] Please try to be *exact* instead of *vague* 'Windows found *some* disk problems'
Where? It might have corrupted Oracle binaries! Did you check the alert<sid>.log? Probably not. Please check the alert before posting, your post doesn't contain any sensible clues. The error points to the fact Oracle can't create the SGA, [Quoted] you might have changed the init.ora parameters in the meantime. Also: you are one of the regulars here who consistently crosspost. Please [Quoted] stop doing so.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA