Oracle Windows service does not start DB

From: Stjepan Brbot <stjepan.brbot_at_zg.hinet.hr>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:32:01 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] On my computer (Windows 2000 Pro) I have installed Oracle 8.1.7 EE. and [Quoted] only one DB instance. Also, Oracle service on Windows is set to be started manually and instance to be started automatically upon starting the service.

[Quoted] Firstly everithing was working fine but few weeks ago (after Windows found some disk problems and successfully solved them) something strange is happening.

[Quoted] When I start service manually in command prompt: D:\>net start OracleServiceXYZ

I got the following:
D:\>net start OracleServiceXYZ
The OracleServiceXYZ service is starting..... The OracleServiceXYZ service was started successfully.

Even it seems that everything is OK, it's not. I cannot connect on this [Quoted] DB. When I try connection on DB I got this message: "ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist"

Then I have to start SVRMGRL, connect as INTERNAL and STARTUP database [Quoted] manually "once again", after that DB is started and works.
--

D:\>svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

[Quoted] SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                         73127964 bytes
Fixed Size                                          75804 bytes
Variable Size                                    56197120 bytes
Database Buffers                                 16777216 bytes
Redo Buffers                                        77824 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SVRMGR> exit
Server Manager complete.

D:\>

--

Before problems with disk when I started service (and DB) manually I was getting:
D:\>net start OracleServiceXYZ
The OracleServiceXYZ service is

The OracleServiceXYZ service was started successfully.

Notice much more dots (and time of course) after "The OracleServiceXYZ [Quoted] service is starting". Before I had two instances, firstly they both worked fine but after this disk problem the same situation occured with [Quoted] service for second instance. I had to start it using SVRMGRL.

--

So question is how to solve problem with service to automatically and [Quoted] correctly start database instance?

--

Stjepan Brbot Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 09:32:01 CEST

Original text of this message