Re: add a new column into the middle of an existing table

From: M Buckle <markbuckle30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 11:06:47 -0700

[Quoted] If your relation (table) is just a bag of unrelated columns, fine, but apart from efficiency condiderations, similar kinds of things should group together if only for the sake of the poor s*d doing maintenance work who is trying to understand the structure and meaning of some under-documented system. If foreign keys are to be found together near the head of the table, date and timestamps together at the bottom, it makes things simpler in the long-run, or perhaps you would disagree with such notions along with the use of column naming conventions, use of consistent data types etc etc.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but your reply sounded like a smart-a*se put-down.

Cheers, M