Re: Starting from scratch...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:10:01 GMT

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> I don't think the OP wants to migrate a schema as such but design an app
> from scratch. I can't give any real recommendations - cos i don't do this
> task - but I'd have thought that designer rather than discoverer would be
> the appropriate offering from Oracle themselves. The dev tools come bundled
> with 9ias so I'd think very seriously about considering that platform as
> well.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Darwin wrote:
> >
> > > Over the next year I will be creating a new (very complex) database
> > > using Oracle 9i. I have old Sybase (500+ tables) to reference, but
> > > have been told that I cannot move it to Oracle, it has to be
> > > re-designed. I have not had the opportunity of starting green like
> > > this and want to approach the task as efficiently as possible. We are
> > > not worried at this point about loosing functionality, data will be
> > > eventually ported over to the new database.
> > >
> > > I have been looking at development tools including Oracle's
> > > Discoverer, Datanamic's DeZign (http://www.datanamic.com/), plus many
> > > others. If you were starting from scratch and had the opportunity what
> > > would you use?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance...
> > >
> > > Darwin
> >
> > Any number of tools can migrate a schema though you will have to modify
> > some things and you should recode the application.
> >
> > Look at ERwin, Visio Professional, etc.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

You are correct that it is Designer, not Discoverer. I interpreted that as a mistype. But the reference to an old Sybase schema made me think it was a migrataion. Perhaps a follow-up question will end the suspense.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 17:10:01 CEST

Original text of this message