Re: Problems with NLS_LANG in Linux

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 26 Apr 2002 01:54:30 -0700

fred_faria_at_yahoo.com.br (Frederico Faria) wrote in message news:<73b6f9d0.0204251322.fb34fef_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I use SQLPlUS client without problems with the configuration
>
> NLS_LANG= // space as one unset variable
>

> Now , I have other oracle tool that need UTF-8 character
> configuration.But this tool doesn work with the above configuration (
> I get ORA-12705 ).
>
> When I try to set one value different to NLS_LANG variable my sqlplus
> doesnt connect to my Oracle server. Of course, nor my other oracle
> tool.
>
> How would I specify the NLS_LANG variable to support UTF-8 without
> affect the sqlplus ? I think that in this way, the oracle tool could
> work.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Faria

export NLS_LANG="American_America.UTF8"

> When I try to set one value different to NLS_LANG variable my sqlplus
> doesnt connect to my Oracle server.

Please post any specific error message. If you have configured NLS_LANG in the above fashion (Language_Territory.charset), there is no reason at all why sql*plus is not going to work. sql*plus is sql*plus, it works or it doesn't work, there no special settings. Unsetting NLS_LANG will default it to American_America.US7ASCII, so you are simply using the default, you didn't really unset it. If your other tool requires UTF8 you'd better set NLS_LANG to UTF8 permanently in order to avoid problems during export.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
SEnior Oracle DBA'

Hth Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 10:54:30 CEST

Original text of this message