Re: HELP- SQL*PLUS on PC could NOT connect to Oracle on Sun

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:10:02 +1000

"stinky" <stankonia_at_stunkitystunk.org> wrote in message news:3CC60D23.5080308_at_stunkitystunk.org...
> Ed Stevens wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:38:33 -0400, stinky <stankonia_at_stunkitystunk.org>
wrote:

> >>I had a similar problem trying to connect form a unix box to a server on
> >>an NT box. I had to connect using _at_SID.world, rather than @SID.
> >>

> ><snip>
> >Sounds like an incorrectly configured SQLNET.ORA file, rather than
anything
> >inherent in NT vs. Unix. Check the value of NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN
> >--
> >Ed Stevens
> >(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)
> >

> I'll mention it to my DBA. I had a feeling that something wasn't set up
> right but I didn't mention it to the DBA. They don't seem too receptive
> to suggestions about something that they consider to be in their domain.
> I don't know why DBA's are like that.

They're not. If the ones you've got are, it's because they are *people* like that, and them being DBAs is a mere incidental.

Look at this very newsgroup: it has posters who like to help; posters who like to post; posters who like to sneer; posters who like to demonstrate the enormous size of their ego; even some posters who do all of the above. Occasionally simultaneously.

Yet all are allegedly DBAs (yes, I realise it's hard to tell in one or two cases).

I think you may be just a little unfortunate in the DBAs that have been granted to you by the hand of fate. I'd be demanding a refund!

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 06:10:02 CEST

Original text of this message