Re: Charset problem when using SQL statements with ODBC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:07:15 +0200

"Stefan Mueller" <stefan.mueller_at_htm.co.at> wrote in message news:1019256034.590636_at_lilznntp.liwest.at...
> Hello,
>
> I configured an ODBC application with an ORACLE 8.1.7 server on the server
> installation. The application has a basic installation procedure which
> executes direct SQL statements like "INSERT INTO". There UNICODE-symbols
> such as the European currency symbol "?" are inserted. Unfortunately the
"?"
> is being translated into a Spanish symbol "¿" (ASCII 0191). Later the
> application commences these INSERTS and of course this causes severe
> problems. When the application uses an ADODB/ODBC recordset to update data
> the "?" is inserted correctly, thus the database itself is capable of
> keeping UNICODE data. It seems that a sort of character translation is
only
> commited to direct executes of INSERT or UPDATE statements.
>
> Does anyone know how to turn off the character translation?
>
> Regards,
> Stefan Mueller

You need to do several things
- stop crossposting to every Oracle newsgroup: your audience is not going to be bigger and you're wasting others peoples time, if a correct answer has already been posted and not crossposted in other newsgroups - a search on the groups archives at groups.google.com may return results as this is a common issue. I am aware though many people here absolutely don't want to help theirselves, but rather want to keep others busy, especially if they come from Germany or Austria.
- check the Windows characterset (should be the 1252 one) and your NLS_LANG settings in the registry. The euro sign is supported by WE8ISO8859P15. Older versions of Oracle (which you *of course*, why do it, don't mention) may not support the euro however.
- if you have US7ASCII in the registry and the characterset of the database is US7ASCII, NO check on the 8-bit is being made. If however your client is US7ASCII the 8th bit is simply stripped off.

--
Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker