Re: Does Oracle have an MSDE equivalent? (correction)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:33:00 +0200

[Quoted] On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 05:19:55 GMT, "Ron Fluegge" <rmflugge_at_swbell.net> wrote:

>The thing about MSDE is that, with the proper purchase/license, you can also
>distribute MSDE with commercial applications. If the app needs to be
>"upsized" to SQL Server, then my clients can import the MSDE databases
>directly into SQL Server.
>
>I was hoping to be able to do the same thing with Oracle. If not distribute
>the "desktop" version, then certainly be able to use it to "develop" a
>commercial app and then allow the clients to use their licensed copy of
>Oracle to run the app.

Personal Oracle is basically functionally equivalent to the full product. Oracle doesn't allow you to redistribute it. Once you are going to *distribute* your app, your customers will need to buy the full product. Development is free, as long as you don't distribute it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Apr 14 2002 - 17:33:00 CEST

Original text of this message