Oracle 9i/Linux install nightmare

From: Ralph Seguin <rpseguin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 10:59:41 -0700

[Quoted] [Quoted] Any help in getting Oracle installed is greatly appreciated. Do I really need to use SuSE? SuSE seems like a goofy distribution to me...

<venting>
I have come to the conclusion that the Oracle installation instructions and software are some of the _WORST_ I have _EVER_ used, and I have installed quite a few pieces of software in my time.

About 10 days ago, I freshly installed a Mandrake Linux 8.1 machine, and then went to install Oracle 9i (9.0.1). I followed the poorly organized and poorly written directions as closely as I could.

Then, when running the runInstaller, I got a segfault (traceback at end of this message).

So, I called Oracle, who, for all their database software, could not locate our customer #. I was promptly told that Mandrake Linux is not qualified to run Oracle 9i (9.0.1) and that I would have to use one of the qualified distributions:

RedHat 7.1 (not 7.2)
SuSE 7.1 or 7.2
OpenLinux 8

Soooo..... I installed RedHat 7.1 afresh, and then tried to install Oracle.
The Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) GUI came up, but the 'Next', 'Help', 'Exit', 'Installed Products...' buttons did not work at all. The 'About' and 'Deinstall Products...' buttons DID work.

[Quoted] Next, I created a TAR to help get this problem solved, and I was then informed:
Ralph,

Oracle Installation does not work correctly on Redhat 7.1 ( glibc 2.2 and above )

Primarily the problem is that the Oracle Universal Installer does not start .

The next problem will be that the relink fails due to bug 1467074 After this none of the Oracle executables will run.

To solve the initial problem of the OUI not starting you need to install the following patches available via the Redhat 7.1 CDs or from www.redhat.com

Compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.i386.rpm (CD1)
compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.14.i386.rpm (CD2)
compat-libs-6.2-3.i386.rpm (CD2)

Once these have been installed open a new session as the oracle OS user and type the following

Export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
and then run the following file i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh - this can be found at /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin

Now you should be able to run the OUI correctly.

When choosing your installation options do not pick for the OUI to create a database for you.

We also have a very good note for Suse Linux... Most of the stuff is same for Redhat also except for some known issues.

Article-ID: <Note:183134.1>
Title: INSTALLING 9.0.1 ON SUSE LINUX 7.2

Arrrgggggggghhhh!!!!!!
[Quoted] So, I installed those required RPMs and did the other things, ... and it STILL does NOT work.

I _REALLY_ wish that I could have just used PostgreSQL instead, but Oracle was mandated by those with the purse strings for unknown reasons.

</venting>

Thanks.
-Ralph
rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com

Traceback from running Oracle installer on Mandrake Linux 8.1: [oracle_at_mushroom linux]$ /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller Segmentation fault
[oracle_at_mushroom linux]$ gdb /mnt/cdrom/install/linux/runInstaller GNU gdb 20010813 (MI_OUT)
Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc. GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
Type "show copying" to see the conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-mandrake-linux"... (no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /mnt/cdrom/install/linux/runInstaller (no debugging symbols found)...
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x40088308 in fclose () from /lib/libc.so.6 (gdb) where
#0 0x40088308 in fclose () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1 0x0804c456 in copyFile ()
#2 0x0804c2c0 in CopyDirRecursive ()
#3 0x0804ca6b in doBootStrap ()
#4 0x0804afd4 in main_helper ()
#5 0x0804be06 in main ()
#6 0x400335b0 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) Received on Wed Apr 10 2002 - 19:59:41 CEST

Original text of this message