Re: Installing on win98

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:07:59 GMT

Keep in mind that when you deinstall something your registry and autoxec.bat file may still contain a lot of garbage. I am telling this just because I went through some troubles like yours and eventually I managed to have Win98 personal edition working smoothly together with 6i Developer (Reports), but I had to rearrange the order of the oracle homes in the autoexec.bat manually. Now I have the Oracle Home of W98PE coming first and the Developer's one next. I also had to deinstall the duplicate SQLPlus coming with Developer as it crashed, moreover it was completely useless as there was an already perfectly working version 8.1.7.
So, in the end, I would deinstall everything first, clean up the registry below the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle branch and remove any entries in the system PATH variable.
Then I would install Win98PE, then when you get it to work, you install the Developer.
At that point, you can copy the tnsnames.ora file you find under the first oracle home into the Developer's home and you should be then able to connect to your DB.

Hope it works.
Bye,
Flavio