Advice on Designer 6 non-table based form?

From: Aaron <alouts_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Apr 2002 16:44:23 -0800

I have a client who is asking for us to do the following, and I am unsure of both its feasability and difficulty, and wanted to ask around and see what thoughts I could gather one way or another.

[Quoted] He is asking for us to take a screen that has already been built in developer and move it into Designer because he wants to maintain it there. Now, this seems contrary to my understanding of what one typically uses designer for, and given what I know of the screen I'm not even sure it's possible, but I'll elaborate a bit and see what you all think before I tell him he's nuts.

This screen initialy has a few generic user-entered fields on it, with some custom validation code behind each field that lets the user choose a "report" to run (not a oracle report, just a stored procedure that writes out a CSV file). When the user fills out values for each of the fields, they go to a second "page" of the same screen (I think this is just another canvas in the same window) to enter a second bit of info specific to the proc they will be running. When they hit continue on that second page, the screen calls a stored proc in the DB with the values the user entered as inputs to the procedure.

[Quoted] Now, aside from the calls to the stored procedures themselves, nothing on the screen ties to any database objects. None of the fields are table based, no lookups needed, etc.

In the designer repository right now, only the data model itself has been defined (output from the data modeller tool), along with some extremely simple screens that edit the lookup data in some of those tables. There are no dataflow or process details captured in this tool, no record of the stored procs, etc.

[Quoted] My understanding of the relationship between designer and developer was that as a CASE tool, designer is generally used to capture requirements and then generate a first cut of code that gets refined in developer, and that anything that designer couldn't easily deal with is usually done from scratch in developer. This screen doesn't seem to fit well into that model, and I am thinking that it doesn't make sense to do what our client is asking.

Any thoughts on whether this is foolish/wise and if it is a good idea after all to put things in designer, any thoughts on where I should start looking for help? Most of the things I have read so far assume you're starting off with a screen based off a table.

Thanks in advance.

-Aaron
alouts_at_hotmail.com Received on Wed Apr 03 2002 - 02:44:23 CEST

Original text of this message