Re: Moving oracle to another box, cannot unmount database

From: Matt M. <mmcglynn1979_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2002 08:03:26 -0800

Al,

You could set up the second system as a standby database and make it your production database after everything's been moved over. Just put tablespaces in backup mode

ALTER TABLESPACE asdf BEGIN BACKUP;

Move the tablespaces to the standby and set one of the backup locations for the archivelogs to the standby database. That way the changes made to the production database are replicated and when you've got everything situated, you can kill the production database and make your standby the production instead.

This may be a big pain if your database has a lot of tablespaces.

Unfortunately I don't have any FAQs for this, but hopefully it'll give you a good place to start looking.

--Matt