Re: Oracle beginner

From: Jonathan Best <j-best2NOSPAM_at_ERASETHISshaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:12:08 GMT

From one college student to another....
I learned SQL last semester, and I used Albert Lulushis' book, Oracle Forms Developers Handbook (ISBN 0-13-030754-8). It doesn't really talk about database design, but the section on SQL is pretty good. It also walks you through PL/SQL, enough to give you an idea how to use it. As the title says, it focus on Forms, and how to develop them. Downside, it's almost 1000 pages long, so it's not an overnight read. Good beginners book.

I agree with Mr. Morgan. You can't get 1 book for all subjects. Talk to your profs. They'll have some books for you as well. Also, go to your local Chapters, Barnes & Nobles, or what ever major chain of bookstores are near you. They usually have a good selection of DB books. Pick up a couple, a cup of coffee, and then scan them. Find out which ones make sense to you. You didn't say if you had any programming experience, but if you do..... great It'll help out a lot.

HTH
Jon

PS. If you are going to use Oracle Forms Developer, learn how to use the help files. Oracle did a good job on them, but they can be hard to use at times.