Re: developer

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:40:50 +0100

damorgan wrote:

> It would have been very helpful if you had provided the complete error message.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>
> Francois Joly wrote:
>
> > I recently installed Developer on my computer, and when I try to connect to
> > my database via Forms Builder, i get the following error message: "TSN:
> > packet writer faliure" ... and I really don't know what to do. I copied the
> > TSNname.ora, sqlnet.ora and listner.ora from my
> > NET80\Admin folder to my Forms Admin folder and it didn't solve the problem.
> > I got Win2k Pro francais, and I got Forms Builder version 6.0.8.7. I can
> > connect to my database via SQL *Plus, it's kind of weird ...
> >
> > any help will be appreciated
> > thx

some suggestions found on Metalink:
TNS Packet writer failure

 I recently installed oracle client 8.1.5 on a W2K system.  When trying to set config I try a test connection to a local DB and I recieve the following error:

 Attempting to contact
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.168.7.15)(PORT=1521))  TNS-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

 If I try a tnsping I get the same error.

 Any ideas?
 This is a fresh install. Have tried uninstalling and re-installing with no luck. Other machines I have set up recently  do NOT exhibit this behaviour. Is there any thing in particular I should look for on the one system having  problems?

 From: Oracle, Kathy Ting 04-Feb-02 22:20  Subject: Re : TNS Packet writer failure

 Check whether or not this "problemed" Windows 2000 contains the NLS_LANG parameter in its registry. Delete  the NLS_LANG parameters from the registry if it does.

 Go to REGEDT32, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE and delete the  NLS_LANG key(s).

 Deleting the NLS_LANG settings from the registry forces Oracle to use the default settings.

 Search for possible network or network related equipment problems such  as a bad router card.

 Faulty network equipment is likely to cause this error.

 Remove the firewall software, like Sygate Personal Firewall Software. Disabling the software will not fix the
 problem, only completely removing it will restore sqlnet connectivity.

 If problem persists, enable client tracing to level 16 by including the following parameter in the client
 SQLNET.ORA file:

 TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=16  Compare this problemed machine trace file with a successful Win2000 client trace file.

One question from me: did you install the database and developer using the administrator account?

--

Gerard H. Pille

(The Beatles Reunion is neigh!)