Re: Help getting started.. Please read!!

From: <ckh>
Date: 26 Mar 2002 20:34:01 GMT

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:59:31, "shawn gregory" <sgregor6_at_tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Im very interested in programming, but have no real background or knowledge
> other than what I have learned on my own, not much yet. I ve posted one
> other time here about my interest in learning to be an Oracle developer and
> recieved good advice on being carefull with the tech " school" certification
> route as a way to get the education. Im convinced of my desire to do this,
> but unsure as to the best way to go about it. Im doing this backwards, as I
> am 34 and have had my own business since getting out of high school. Ive
> always liked being in charge of my time and carreer, and I probably would
> like to do the same with programming at some point. But, besides being
> proffitable, I really have this bug that I just have to figure this
> programming stuff out, even though I am not sure if I can.

Yes. You can.

> Given the fact that I want to be a programmer, probably in the area of
> database design, what would be the best route to get the training, ( Real
> knowledge ), and the experience for me to pursue this, with possibly
> freelancing as an end goal? College, tech school, online learning, etc.
> Does my age matter in the real world as far as starting now? Do I have to be
> Spock to do this? Any particular area of programming financially or
> creatively better? Were you as overwhelmed when you first started looking at
> code as I am? How long did it take you to GET IT?
> I would love to hear from everyone who has an opinion. I thank you.
> Shawn

Learn C.

The reason is that to learn C, you have to learn the fundamentals. There are a lot of options but I suggest that you get one of those $79 C/C++ packages and work through the lessons. Spend a couple hours a night for 2-4 weeks and you should be able to write, compile, and run a simple program.

This is a start. You are out less than $100 and have only invested time that you'd be yakking with friends anyway.

Next check around for a formal class, the best bargains tend to be community colleges or adult continuing education programs. There is no reason that a $2,500 cram class will teach you more than a $250 community college class. It's your money.

Also, they don't "teach you". You "learn". You get out, whatever you put in. There is no short cut to learning to program.

If you can't earn an A in a community college, Introduction to C programming class after drilling for 4 weeks with a $79 package, hang it up. You either don't have the aptitude or don't care enough.

Now you're out $79 + $250 and two months.

If you do earn an A, then it's up to you. Advanced C, Unix, Perl, JAVA, whatever you choose is just more syntax and additional concepts.

[Quoted] [Quoted] The hard part is getting to the point that you can crank code that works. Most people don't, we call them managers or systems administrators.

Good luck! Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 21:34:01 CET

Original text of this message