Re: Oracle to excel at server side

From: Huebner, Matthias <matthias.huebner_at_verkehrsberatung.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:16:16 +0100

Salut Ada,

i knew a language called ada?

"Ada" <ada106_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6bd047ec.0203251837.26f6f5de_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply!
>
> I think I should provide details information for my situation.
>
> We use developer 2000 (i.e. client/server model) and OO4O to build
> forms and reports in our system before. With OO4O, we can extract
> data from Oracle database to Excel and update data from Excel to
> Oracle.
>
> Now, we want to use developer 6i to deploy forms and reports on the
> web (i.e. 3-tier model). We are seeking for some tools/methods to
> replace OO4O.

I don't know a lot about middleware, but lets try:

> Do there any solution for this?

Are your realy shure to use excel as frontend for your database?

You need the following configuration:

oracle server on your server machine

on the client side:
oracle client
+oracle odbc driver
+excel

> For your first suggestion, it can only extract data from Oracle
> database to Excel, but can't update data from Excel (user's machine)
> to Oracle.

But do Openoffice without having anything to do with excel. As Programming interface you may use java.

But, you wanted excel, ok, do excel via odbc and just do some litte coding in VBA and you will get back data into oracle: do this in excel, built a small add-in.

Dim db As ADO.Connection

db.Execute("sql statement")

read the ado part of microsoft docs for more information. You don't need OO4O which is nothing more than a data control? And have a look, you need to configure the oracle odbc driver as rw. There is a possibilty to configure as read only which is much more performant, but will not solve your problem.

> For your second suggestion, is it possible for 3-tier model?

I know 3 tier as using a middleware being bridge between the db server and an application allowing secure transfer of data. If you use some middleware having Interfaces to VBA, no problem. I think you r middleware needs to be a com object.

But have a look at java sites. Java seems much more capable to solve your problems. You will find a grid there for your Spreadsheet fans, you have CORBA as Middleware, and you are Platform independent! You said, your server is something like a solaris part. Look at http://www.cetus-links.org

Or have a look at Farpoint's Spread (http://www.fpoint.com), which is much more programmer friedly as perhaps excel. It also may be used in XLM/HTML Internet environments.

hope that helps a little bit.
Greetings
Matthias

> Ada
>

> "Huebner, Matthias" <matthias.huebner_at_verkehrsberatung.net> wrote in
message news:<3c9f110a$0$27804$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> > Salut Ada,
> >
> > "Ada" <ada106_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to place Oracle data in an excel worksheet through programming
> > > at Solaris (server side). Has anyone a solution for this?
> > >

> > perhaps you may use StarOffice / OpenOffice at Solaris side to read the
Data