Re: How to grab the output from SQLPlus or Svrmgrl

From: stuart coupe <stuart_at_easysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:56:14 +0000

try 'man popen'

Cheers,
Stuart.

Valery Yourinsky wrote:
James Williams wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:49:52 GMT, "harry" <harry_h_tang_at_yahoo.com>
wrote:

In PROC- you can get the sqlerrm and the sqlcode out of the SQLCA.

I tried to write a utility in C++ which needs to take the output from
SQLPlus and/or Svrmgrl then present it to GUI. I write code such as:

Assume: GMDBshutdown.sql is a shutdown scrip.

char shutdownDBCmd[] = "svrmgrl _at_GMDBshutdown";
returnVal = system(shutdownDBCmd);

/* the execution result can be something as:
"ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist"
or
"Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down."

I want to get the error code and text returned but the above way does not
achieve the goal. Anyone knows how to get the returned text to the code?

Try do it using SQL*Plus' commands:

WHENEVER SQLERROR ...
EXIT SQL.SQLCODE

Valery Yourinsky