Re: Sqlplus for Windows

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:36:26 +0100

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:19:47 GMT, Mark Styles <news_at_lambic.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm using SQL*Plus for Windows (version 3.3 or version 8, doesn't
>matter), and I want to be able to call it from a .bat file like this:
>
>start c:\orant\bin\plus33w.exe _at_%1%
>
>However, when I drag a file onto this bat file, I don't get a connect
>dialog as I would expect. Instead it goes straight to the password
>prompt.
>
>How can I force SQL*Plus to give me a connect dialog?
>
>I can get around it by putting the connect string into the bat file,
>but although this is very convenient, it's a big security hole.
>
>Also, is there any way to default the database I connect to?
>
>Thanks

[Quoted] The convention is to use the DOS variant of sql*plus in .BAT files so
[Quoted] plus33.exe (You'd better not use hardcoded execution paths in your [Quoted] .BAT, please make sure your PATH is correct, and I don't see why you are using start, that isn't necessary either)

[Quoted] The default database can be set using the LOCAL environment variable or string value in HKLM\software\oracle, to the service name in your tnsnames.ora

[Quoted] You can always use ops$ accounts, so you can connect using a / only, so no security hole.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Mar 25 2002 - 18:36:26 CET

Original text of this message