exp 00056 : ora 29701 problem

From: Robert Wiechnik <R.Wiechnik_at_lubzel.com.pl>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:40:56 +0100

Hi,

I've encountered the following problem while exporting data from oracle database (Oracle Parallel Server 8.1.6, Sun Cluster 3.0, Solaris 8): Ezport process terminates while exporting stored procedures with the message:
.exporting stored procedures

EXP-0056: Oracle error 29701 encountered
ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Manager
EXP-0000: Export terminated unsuccesfully
Exp utility is run locally (exp username/password consistent=y on the same machine that the database is running on). I've noticed that when you specify tns service name in command line (exp username/password_at_tnsname consistent=y) export succeeds but lasts much longer comparing to the time it takes to export data by an oracle OS user (it succeeds without specifing tnsname). I have to add that they have the same profile (environment set). What's the point?

My problem is that I don't want to give shell prompt for users who are only to export data and I don't want to assist them every time they have to do it. I wrote a simple shell script which invokes exp utility. I ask for a username and password and add tnsname. Export succeeds when the user gives correct login and password. If not exp goes into an interactive mode and asks about login and password (is it possible to turn it off). In this case the user can't give a tnsname so the export process will fail.

Thanks for any hints!

Robert Wiechnik Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 12:40:56 CET

Original text of this message