Oracle JDeveloper 9i with RedHat Linux 7.1 works out-of-the-box

From: Tim <jdeveloper_on_linux_rocks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2002 02:03:52 -0800

I received a JDeveloper 9i CD in Dr. Dobbs or some other magazine. It was a windows install so I installed it and I liked what I saw. I copied the same zip file over to my redhat 7.1 machine and unzipped it. There is a sh script called jdev that runs JDeveloper. You have to edit jdev.conf (in same directory) to point to your java home directory. (/opt/IBMJava2-1.3 in my case) Make jdev executable and your off and coding! My install doesn't recognize the IBM VM for some reason so there is an extra step. When I go to run a project the IDE will execute: .../javaw -null -classpath[etc.] and the -null is the place where it should say something like -ojvm. I messed around with it to try and get it to recognize the jvm but finally just edited javaw instead. In javaw (a shell script) I placed a "shift" right after the #Run comment. This drops the -null off the end and now the project will run. (Ugly hack. Any suggestions appreciated). I've only created simple applications at this point but everything looks ok.   I'm gonna play with it for a little while until I can get a hold of the official Linux release.
Tim

-make vim useful! use xkeymacs! Received on Sun Mar 10 2002 - 11:03:52 CET

Original text of this message