Oracle BLOB transfer utiltiies...

From: Pierre Rene de Cotret <cyborgen_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:59:23 -0500

[Quoted] Is there a DLL out there or an add-on that I can buy out there that will allow me to transfer a BLOB or CLOB (from table row) directly to a Windows filesystem in reasonable time ?

The functionality I'm looking for would involve supplying :

  • Database name / Server / Password ...
  • Table name
  • Row ID or Key Value
  • Field Name
  • Datatype : // BLOB - CLOB
  • FileSystem Path
  • File Name -Operation (Upload / Download)

The dream API call would take care of opening the necessary channels and do a High speed transfer to the file system :) ...(I said dream).... A 25MB BLOB takes about 5 minutes with 128MB of RAM. (Solving this problem would ruin my coffee break though).

This seems to be a major issue for software developers (Powerbuilder) since the only option available right now is to move the entire data/file (BLOB) from the Oracle server to workstation memory (RAM) and from memory to the file system using 32k chunks (append) !!!!

There's gotta be something out there ...

Thanks in advance Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 05:59:23 CET

Original text of this message