Re: PL/SQL vs Java vs C++?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:14:41 +0300

I would go for as much PL/SQL as you can - and abandon thick client in favor of thin (read web browser) client. Oracle8i provides enough tools to create a web application of nearly any complexity and customize its frontend for access from any platform (PC, PDA, whatever). And if current Oracle tools are not enough, I'd suggest you to look at our Dynamic PSP (PL/SQL Server Pages) offering. If you still need the thick client, you can write it in any language you prefer, be it Java, Pro*C, C++, Delphi or even (shrug!) VB using any connectivity that suites you best - JDBC, ODBC, OO4O, Oracle Provider for OLEDB, OCI, etc. :) Just be sure to offload as much of data processing into the server as possible. Oracle8i has a wealth of statistical functions built-in so it shouldn't be a problem to implement stats&forecast engine in PL/SQL.

my 2 cents.

--
Vladimir Zakharychev (bob_at_dpsp-yes.com)                http://www.dpsp-yes.com