Oracle Dev 6: How to update detail after adding master

From: Rick E. <rickest_at_deleteme.yahooooo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:02:48 -0700

I'm a relative newbie to Oracle Dev and am trying to do something that seems so easy that I've got to be missing something obvious.

I have a form with a master-detail relationship between two data blocks. Detail block is non-updateable, non-insertable, non-deleteable.

After inserting and commiting a new record into the master table, the detail block items remain blank even though the new master record that was just added is displayed correctly. This is where I would have thought the detail block is updated automatically but it isn't. Anyway, if I manually do a Query->Fetch Next Set from the menu, then the detail block items are filled in with the correct data. Or, if I insert two records and commit them, afterwards I can scroll up to previous or down to next record and the detail block items reflect my selection in the master block but this doesn't happen immediately following the commit (the detail block remains blank until I scroll to another record). How can I programmatically make the detail block synchronize itself with the currently selected master block immediately following a commit without (1) manually selecting Query->Fetch Next Set from the menu or (2) manually scrolling to next then previous record.

What exactly is "Fetch Next Set" doing and how can it be invoked programmatically? I cannot find any references to it in online help nor in the online docs. Even if I could figure that out, however, I still wouldn't know which trigger to invoke it from. None of the post- triggers like my manual attempts to go_block('detail') and execute_query thereon.

Thanks for any help,
Rick Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 19:02:48 CET

Original text of this message