Re: What reporting tool do you use?

From: Rudi Ernst <news1_at_edv-ernst.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:44:02 +0100

[Quoted] Hello Daniel,

I'm starting a new project in March and my first task will be: evaluating some reporting tools, buying one of them and then generating some reports. That's all I know until now. Instead of sitting here waiting for the project to start (and then getting the details), I'm curious to hear what reporting tools are used by others.

damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote:

>There are lots of them. In addition to Oracle Reports there is Oracle
>Discoverer, Seagate's Crystal product line, Cognos, Brio, and probably a
>dozen others.

Thank you.

>But you have asked a question without providing any context. Do you need
>triggers to prepare the data? Do you need to execute procedures or use
>functions in the database? Are you a prorammer or end user? What platform
>(hardware and operating system version). How many reports? How complex?
>Web or client server? Do you need to do cross-tabs? Aggregations? Output
>as PDF?
>

>Once again I ask the question ... Are we just supposed to guess? Why is
>it seemingly so hard for people to give a short paragraph of background
>when posting questions? Why? Why? Why?

No, you are not supposed to guess. You already gave an answer and as I see from your questions, you know much more than I about this topic. I have to guess what is useful for my customer.

>Daniel Morgan
>

>Rudi Ernst wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in a new project I have to write some reports based on Oracle
>> Database Tables. Are there any reporting tools beside Oracle Reports?
>> And which one do you recommend?
>>
>> Thanks for any link to a usefull product.

I'll find them using the given product names.