Re: database operations from Java or PL/SQL packages?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:24:54 +0300

[Quoted] [Quoted] Personally I wouldn't go for server-side Java unless absolutely unavoidable. The order of preference of tools/languages to do something in Oracle is:

SQL
PL/SQL
Java
external C
you probably don't need to do it :)

(shamelessly stolen from Thomas Kyte - recommended reading btw). As of client-side - think of it as of presentation layer of your application. You should try to move as much of the business logic into Oracle as possible. Client should only provide data entry and data display controls. This way you are ultimately unlimited with client platform selection - you will be able to create clients for all the diverse platforms (be it PCs, terminals, PDAs or whatever) with equal ease. And Oracle will handle the data and business logic. It is generally a waste of resources to treat Oracle merely as a data storage and retrieval facility (or as a black box) and offload data processing to the client.

My 2 cents.

--
Vladimir Zakharychev (bob_at_dpsp-yes.com)                http://www.dpsp-yes.com