Using dbms_obfuscation_toolkit without logging in

From: Rajesh Jayaprakash <rajesh.j_at_vsnl.net>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 03:18:50 -0800

[Quoted] I have run into a chicken-or-egg situation:

I would like to store the Oracle user/password for a Forms 6i (client/server) application in an INI file to prevent hardcoding this in the ON-LOGON trigger (the application users will log in to the application using user IDs created within the application). The password in the INI file will be encrypted/decrypted using the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT package.

My problem is that to decrypt the password read from the INI file, I need to be already logged in to Oracle (to use the package).

Is there any way to use this package without logging in to Oracle? Can I duplicate the same functionality in a client PLL? Or should I look for some other encryption mechanism?

Thanks and regards,

Rajesh Jayaprakash
rajesh.j_at_vsnl.net Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 12:18:50 CET

Original text of this message