Re: End-user reporting tool

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:03:37 -0000

"damorgan" <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in message news:3C68463E.C1CDB82E_at_ci.seattle.wa.us...
> Perhaps you could explain to us exactly what you think you are going to
> do in Excel, other than fudge and fabricate data, that you can't do in
> Oracle better.
>
> There are many good reporting tools. There is Oracle Reports, Discoverer,
> Seagate's Crystal products, Brios, Cognos, etc. Which one is best depends
> on what you are trying to do. But the one thing they all do better than
> Excel ... is maintain data integrity.

Excel is a superb financial analysis product. moreover it doesn't require hundreds of man hours to setup, learn and maintain as do some of the other tools you mention. This isn't to say that proper business intelligence tools don't have their place but so too does excel.

As for the somewhat inflammatory language about fudging and fabrication. I've always understood you need a really good financial package to do that properly. SAP and Oracle Financials spring immediately to mind!

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA