Re: Assorted questions about uploading a flat ascii text file ported from an IBM mainframe

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:43:33 GMT

  1. how much data? One time only or repeated loads. I like UTL_FILE for ongong jobs with small to moderate amounts of data because it allows the work to be scheduled using DBMS_JOBS and error logging to be done inside the database. I like SQL*Plus for one-time only and very large loads.
  2. I like DBMS_UTILITY.COMMA_TO_TABLE but that is just a personal preference because it is remarkably easy to implement.

Daniel Morgan