Re: Setting permission based on column

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 8 Feb 2002 04:22:24 -0800

"Stjepan Brbot" <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR> wrote in message news:<a3vpj7$9lr6$2_at_as201.hinet.hr>...
> Since there's no possibility to grant/revoke permission on column basis,
> I'm thinking about trigger that could help in setting some kind of
> security checking if user is allowed to insert value in column of table.
> I.e. I have table with columns A,B,C and want only user with role
> "ABC_ROLE" to have the ability (from Oracle Forms app) to insert/update
> value in column B. This trigger should be raised before real inserting
> new row but don't know how to check if user has ABC_ROLE? Finally, need
> yours ideas, how should this trigger look like?

simply not true
from the Oracle manual

Granting Multiple Object Privileges on Individual Columns Example To grant blake the REFERENCES privilege on the empno column and the UPDATE privilege on the empno, sal, and comm columns of the emp table in the schema scott, issue the following statement:

GRANT REFERENCES (empno), UPDATE (empno, sal, comm)

ON scott.emp
TO blake;

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Feb 08 2002 - 13:22:24 CET

Original text of this message