Re: Elementary question on ODBC driver

From: Rajesh Jayaprakash <rajesh.j_at_vsnl.net>
Date: 5 Feb 2002 06:55:19 -0800

"Loic Gouthiere" <l.gouthiere_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<a3og66$6tm$1_at_wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello,
>
> I use developper 6 i (Reports an Forms).
> I don't need an ODBC driver to make change on the database from this tools.
> I'm right ?
> In whitch case i need the ODBC driver ?
> Can anyone explain the basis theory ?
> When I launch the ODBC test from Oracle group of program it say that it
> don't find any driver, so it not install.
>
> Please anyone answer.
>
> (If my English is not good, please help me to correct it)
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Loic

You don't need an ODBC driver if you plan to use Forms 6i. The Oracle NetEasy configuration software should be used to create a database alias which points to the IP address, port number and SID of the Oracle database. You should use this alias to connect to the database from Forms using the ON-LOGON trigger (logon(user,password_at_dbalias);).

An ODBC DSN should be used when you connect from forms to a non-Oracle database. I think you should use the EXEC_SQL package (?) for this.

The reason ODBC test fails could be because you might not have the required ODBC drivers installed. It could also be because the database alias might not have been set up correctly.

Regards,

Rajesh Received on Tue Feb 05 2002 - 15:55:19 CET

Original text of this message