Re: JOINs in Oracle Forms?

From: spademan o---[ * <steve.eckersley_at_its.lancscc.gov.uk>
Date: 1 Feb 2002 02:47:52 -0800

topmind_at_technologist.com (Topmind) wrote in message news:<4e705869.0201290906.3dd491bb_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Johan den Das" <johan.den.das_at_itris.nl> wrote in message news:<a35tl9$iq4$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl>...
> > Topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> wrote in message
> > > I need to populate a multi-record read-only form (aka "grid" equiv)
> > > from an SQL with a JOIN in it. The simplest way seems to be via a
> > > View, but I have to go thru the DBA for that and it is a bit of red
> > > tape.
> > >
> > > It seems others have had difficulty doing the same thing in messages a
> > > few years old here. Is there any new feature to do this? The Help
> > > mentions a FROM clause lookup of some kind, but I can't find any
> > > syntax examples.
> > >
> > > Why are the simplist things a bear in Forms? Does it get better with
> > > practice, or is Forms just outdated? I can't seem to figure out
> > > Oracle's design philosophy for this tool. It seems *random* so far.
> > > Odd limitations with odd error messages and odd triggers at odd times.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance, -T-
> >
> > hmmm, you are a Micro$oft developer ? Forms is the coolest !
> >
> > steps to create From clause query form:
> > 1. select From clause query as datasource for your block
> > 2. Put your select statement in Query Data Source Name property
> > 3. create corresponding items in the block
> > 4. Run y'r form
>

> I am getting "FRM-40505: ORACLE error: unable to perform query."
>
> That is not a very descriptive message. Is there a way to "X-ray"
> exactly what is being sent to Oracle? I checked the SQL from "Data
> Source Name" in SQL*Plus and it works fine there.
>
> It is also giving me this warning during compile: "FRM-30113: Block
> must have non-query-only database item." I want a read-only grid form
> for this part.
>
> Is there an inexpensive service from India or something that can
> answer my questions for reasonable fees? This tool is overwelming me
> with its black-box antics. Learn-from-the-book is not working well for
> me on this one. I have a deadline to reach and I have to keep starting
> over and re-alligning everything each time some unknown behavior or
> vague error complaint pops out of the wood-work and puts my poor app
> on skitzoid crack cocaine. (Perhaps I need a version control tool
> where I can roll things back to the last known non-stoned app state.)
>
> Yes, I am mostly from the Microsoft world, and I do find their
> products have a shallower learning curve, which is one of the reasons
> for their success IMO. If Forms is somehow optimized for the long-run
> instead of the short-run, then I am in for a h*ll of a near-term ride.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -T-

Hi,

[Quoted] The error message "FRM-40505: ORACLE error: unable to perform query" is not very helpful as a debug message but it is not meant to be, it is only a warning to end users. To access a more detailed message there is a function called "display error". This can be called by pressing shift+F1 for client server or shift+ctrl+E for a webforms app. This will bring a grey box into the middle of the screen with details of the sql statement that failed if applicable.

Also you mention that you have to keep re-aligning items when some unknown behaviour occurs. Could it be that you were re-sizing a frame on a canvas at the time? To avoid forms automatically re-jigging? your items there is a property on all frames called "update layout" which should be set to locked.

Hope this helps and hope I've not missed the point too much.

Steve E. Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 11:47:52 CET

Original text of this message