Re: Thanks for the reply

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:33:10 -0000

"Kevin McDaniel" <kmcdaniel96_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:60115ff8.0201270005.6b71dc9b_at_posting.google.com...
> Justin,
>
> If the DBAs you know do nothing but surf the net all day, then they
> must not be very good DBAs. Although the list of general
> responsibilities for DBAs is rather short, they encompass quite a bit.
> For example, I spend the majority of my day working on space
> management issues. <etc>

I somewhat disagree. I'd be worried if a significant proportion of my time was spent on space management issues (not to mention bored out of my tiny little mind). Space management is the sort of thing that is crying out for managing by monitoring trends and by automated alerts. (Not however by autoextend). Now admittedly our Databases don't grow in gigabytes per week but even so space management should not ber the main activity of a DBA.

Surfing the net may or may not be relevant. I'll guarantee that if they spend time on this newgroup heirarchy and technet they'll be better educated and more capable than if they didn't. www.cat-scan.com on the other hand is just cruel.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA