Re: Thanks for the reply

From: Kevin McDaniel <kmcdaniel96_at_attbi.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2002 00:05:13 -0800

Justin,

[Quoted] [Quoted] If the DBAs you know do nothing but surf the net all day, then they [Quoted] [Quoted] must not be very good DBAs. Although the list of general responsibilities for DBAs is rather short, they encompass quite a bit. [Quoted]  For example, I spend the majority of my day working on space [Quoted] management issues. I prepare reports and conduct research for upcoming projects that will effect the database. I determine if the [Quoted] amount of space allocated to the database is sufficient for future [Quoted] changes, like new product installations, growth rates of existing [Quoted] applications, etc.

Besides the normal DBA responsibilities of Backup/Recovery, Perf/Tuning, the DBAs that I know also work on application development and tuning.

[Quoted] Bottom line: there is a lot to being a DBA. The pace may be a little [Quoted] less than what you're used to now. But don't expect it to be like [Quoted] that all of the time.