Re: JDBC setup on windows xp! Please help

From: Rajesh Jayaprakash <rajesh.j_at_vsnl.net>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 03:56:52 -0800

"Samir N. Thacker" <samirthacker_at_rogers.com> wrote in message news:<AWu28.2417$%G.705_at_news2.bloor.is>...
> Hi!
>
> I am new to JDBC and so having problems setting up JDBC correctly on my
> machine. I have Windows XP Pro OS, Java SDK version 1.3.1_01 and Oracle
> 8.1.7 for Windows NT and I want to write Java applications to connect to
> oracle databases.
>
> I don't know how to set up JDBC for Oracle on Windows XP machine. I tried
> different approaches but i always ended up with an error message as below...
>
> "C:\Employee.java:17: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol : class OracleDriver
> location: package driver
> DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
>
> ^
> 1 error"
>
> From whatever I have read i believe that it's got something to do with
> classes12.zip file which is in my C:\orant\ora8i\jdbc\lib folder on my hard
> drive.
>
> Can someone please provide me with a step-by-step instruction on how to set
> up JDBC correctly and show me what exactly I am supposed to do in Windows XP
> Pro to set up the environment variable values and whatever else is required
> to use the Thin drivers from Oracle. I have visited Oracle's site and Sun's
> website to find answers but they mention nothing about setting up JDBC on a
> Windows XP machine!!
>
> thanks a lot in advance...
>
> samir

  1. The classes12.zip file has to be included in your CLASSPATH (include the zip file name too, not just the directory in which it exists).
  2. You should import the Oracle JDBC package in your source file. Alternately, you can dynamically load the driver:

Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.JdbcDriver") ;

3. The database connection is established as below:

Connection cn = DriverManager.getConnection(<URL string>,<user>,<passwd>) ;

I don't remember the exact sytax of the URL string, but it should contain the IP address/host name of the Oracle server, the Instance identifier and the port number of the listener process at the server.

Hope this helps,

Rajesh Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:56:52 CET

Original text of this message