Re: TOAD and ORA-12154

From: Richard Shea <richardshea_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: 20 Jan 2002 18:08:21 -0800

Well I have posted a followup to this before but I can't see it on the group so I think I'd better re-do it. Thanks for you comments Daniel and Anne. The problem did indeed go when I got rid of (well actually renamed) some of the surplus *.ora files. Thanks for the tip Anne about the "Quick Launch" bar, I wasn't using that but I'll make sure I don't in future either.

I did come across something strange whilst installing Toad which I would like to put on the record. For clarification you'd better understand that I'm discussing an installation on a Windows 2000 box. After fiddling around with various Toad settings to try to get it to recognise my logon I (for other reasons) booted the server (which was the machine Toad was being installed on) and found that none of my ASP scripts worked any longer. They use ADO to access Oracle and they were falling to resolve the TNS service name in the parameters. All of this had worked flawlessly previously. The server in question has two homes and it appears that without realising it I had set the "Primary Oracle Home" to the wrong home. Now bear in mind that this setting is not reflected in the Registry - there are similar sounding settings stored in the Register but this change only seems to effect the PATH environment variable. As far as I can see the ADO driver (during the problem I used both ORAOLEDB and MSDAORA) looks at the "Primary Oracle Home" not the registry when deciding how to resolve the service name - hence point it at the wrong home and BANG ... your ADO connection disappears. So there you are. I haven't had time to investigate this completely so I'm open to comments/corrections but this is what seemed to happen in my case.

Thanks again for your help.

regards

richard shea. Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 03:08:21 CET

Original text of this message