Re: SQL or Java?

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:11:21 GMT

In article <3c4695b3$0$225$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>I've been in similar positions and if the DBA gets involved in any way with
>the data manipulation, any non cleansed data becomes the dba's fault.

I don't believe the DBA need be involved in this part anyway. I was talking about administration duties only.

>I suspect that all things being equal a C/C++ implementation of the data
>cleansing suitable for loading into the database would be at least as fast

[Quoted] I think that really depends upon whether relational lookups are necessary for [Quoted] the "cleansing" process. If they are, I seriously doubt that the C/C++ implementation using only plain text files would be nearly as fast Oracle... [Quoted] at least, I would expect not.

>as the PL/SQL equivalent. However I also very much doubt that all things are
>equal so the only really effective benchmarlk would be to write the two
>systems and compare them directly.

Not the most efficient solution, but if you have the time to burn.... Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 14:11:21 CET

Original text of this message