Re: SQL or Java?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:13:21 -0000

"Jeff" <jeff_at_work.com> wrote in message news:a24qm5$apm$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu...
> I think the big question that you need to answer is this: do you NEED the
> relational capabilities of an RDBMS to perform these "field checks" and
> data merges? Unless you don't, IMHO, the DBA just doesn't want to
administer
> the separate database for these conversions and is looking to push this
out of
> his realm of responsibility.

And I have some sympathy with this view.

It looks like the process is as follows.

  1. Users produce data for aggregation
  2. we check it and clean it up
  3. same users reject half the cleaned up data and resubmit under step 1.
  4. we reprocess until eventually data is loaded into the warehouse.

[Quoted] I've been in similar positions and if the DBA gets involved in any way with the data manipulation, any non cleansed data becomes the dba's fault.

[Quoted] I suspect that all things being equal a C/C++ implementation of the data cleansing suitable for loading into the database would be at least as fast [Quoted] [Quoted] as the PL/SQL equivalent. However I also very much doubt that all things are [Quoted] equal so the only really effective benchmarlk would be to write the two systems and compare them directly.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA