Re: DAO & Oracle stored proceddures

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:08:54 -0000

[Quoted] We buy a number of products. Most of these tout the 'fact' that they are 'database independent'. In many cases this is true and can be defines as they make inapproprate use of all the database that they run on.

(Incidentally, they almost never seem to run against postgresql on a linux client either but require windows somewhere in the mix - thus not being database or platform independent).

The ones that are self evidently developed on one platform *cough* SQL*Server *cough* and then ported have platform specific bugs eg "There was a missing alias in the script in patch <patchname>. This made the script fail on Oracle." If the developer has got the alias syntax wrong what [Quoted] odds will you give me on bind variable use.

I share Jim's view. I don't see why we are so bound up with giving least common denominator database access when we are happy to specify OS/Browser/Runtime library requirements.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA