Re: Discoverer

From: Matt Turner <initss_at_claranews.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:24:23 -0000

Jason,

> > How much training does the administrator require, inorder to support
> > Discoverer?

Discoverer is split across two applications - Administration Edition, creating folders, joins, grants etc..etc

and the User Edition - creating the worksheets graphs etc..etc..

You will need minimum of one user that has been trained on the Administration Edition - pref someone experience in basic dba roles - grants and permissions stuff.

> > Do the end users require formal training?

Depends on the level of literacy amongst your users, Disco User is fairly intuitive.

You could have one person trained on User Edition and get them to role it out to your users (possibly the Disco Administrator).

You can find associated costs on the Oracle Website.

> > How long does Discoverer take to setup, does it require it's own box, or
> can
> > it be run of the same box as the database.

Runs on the same database under a different schema. Can be installed in as little as an hour.

> > If anyone has any opinions on Discoverer, they would be greatly
> appreciated.

Excellent tool if used correctly - put simply it generates SQL displays the results. It ain't a reporting tool as advanced as Oracle Reports, but it can be made to do some quite complex stuff.

Hope this helps.

ps. feel free to email with any more questions

"Rui Brito" <rumanuel_at_netc.pt> wrote in message news:3c323aeb_at_212.18.160.197...
> Discoverer is a good and nice tool.
> It a Excel like. You can make graphics, sorts, changes Fonts and colors
with
> conditions, etc..
> You can export to Excel too.
> The administrator work is define Layers, wich mean, create groups of
tables
> co-relationed, changing their names (tables and columns) to a "mortal"
name
> identified by end users and publishe them layers.
> The End users can create reports using the Layers made by Administrator.
> It´s easy.
> You can put a icon in desktop, click in and voilá ...
>
> See the tutorials come with product.
> Same database ? Sure. Create a user and install the Repository of
Discoverer