Re: Installation of Oracle PE 8.1.7 for Win98

From: Stjepan Brbot <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 02:19:13 +0100

--

Stjepan Brbot <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR>

[Quoted] "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:51:33 +0100, "Stjepan Brbot"
> <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR> wrote:
>
> >Come on man, you forgot snake oil and powder of bat's wings...
> >
> >I have CD with Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.7 for Windows 98 and
simply
> >want to install it on my laptop. I do not need Developer/Designer
etc. I
> >just want to develop tools in VB (ODBC) that would use Oracle
database.

> The solution to get Oracle Pe working on the uncertified Win ME has
> been posted in this group several times. It involves hacking win.ini
> Please use the archives (and in general always use the archives before
> posting)
> As Personal Oracle comes with Oracle Objects for Ole, a dao like
> *native* interface which can be called from both Visual Basic and
> Visual C++, using ODBC to interact with an Oracle database from VB is
> the worst choice you can make.
Thank you for your advice about using archives before posting, but I was not able to find out the explanation how to install OraclePE on WinME in this usenet group. I found it on Internet. It's not so big hacking WIN.INI. Only thing one should do is add line "JREW=0x00080000" in [Compatibility95] section of WIN.INI file. That's it! After that installation works fine! I'm only thinking about type of connection to Oracle DB... At this moment I do not know enough about OO4O but according to your statement above, I should look at this technology and use it instead of ODBC. -- Stjepan Brbot <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR>