SMON system hang

From: Osbit <kpage_at_osbit.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:56:18 -0000

I'm having a problem with the SMON process on my Oracle instance. It has suddenly become the busiest process on the system, consuming about 50% CPU on a system that is doing nothing else at all. Disk activity is at almost zero, only writing about 2.4Kb / sec to three data areas. If I try and shutdown the database it just hangs there, so I tried a shutdown abort and then a restart with the same result, a hang. I can't figure out what the SMON process is doing as I've not worked with Oracle for that long.

Can anyone help out the new guy ?

Thanks in advance. Received on Wed Dec 12 2001 - 12:56:18 CET

Original text of this message