Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:52:52 -0000

[Quoted] "Ron Reidy" <rereidy_at_indra.com> wrote in message news:3C16C153.C35B07EF_at_indra.com...
> Scott Imlach wrote:
> >
> > I have need to migrate an export from a 7.3 database to an 8i database.
> > From what I have been able to discern, the data import/export utility is
now
> > buried in the OEM so I went through the exercise of setting up the OEM
> > environment choosing the defaults along the way.
> >
> > I now have the console up and running but the data export/import utility
is
> > nowhere to be found. The only administrative tools I have are the
Security
> > Manager, Schema Manager, Storage Manager, Instance Manager, and SQL
> > Worksheet.
> >
> > I am working in a Windows 2000 environment. OEM is version 2.0.4.0.0.
> > Database is 8.1.5.0.0
> >
> > The Enterprise Manager Server is evidently another security layer that
> > enables DBA's to have a single OEM login mapped to specific logins of
> > various databases throughout the enterprise.
> >
> > The OEM account I am using is the standard SYSMAN account and it is
mapped
> > to a user on my 8i database with CONNECT, RESOURCE, and DBA role. I
have
> > also assigned SYSDBA system priviledge to the 8i account as a straw
grasping
> > measure.
> >
> > So, where is the Import/Export Utility/Wizard? Any help would be
> > appreciated,
> >
> > Scott
> I don't know where this is in OEM, but imp/exp are in %ORACLE_HOME%\bin.
>
> You should use the emp from your 8i Oracle Home to export from your v7
> instance, and, of course, use the imp from this same Oracle Home to load
> your 8i instance.
> --
> Ron Reidy
> Oracle DBA
> Reidy Consulting, L.L.C.

[Quoted] I too would recommend the use of the actual exp utility. However the tool you are looking for in OEM can be found by right clicking on the target database and choosing the Data management option. You may however find that [Quoted] the export job fails or is incomplete and OEM doesn't make it at all obvious [Quoted] what went wrong.

[Quoted] Having said all that I'm fairly sure that I have always used exp from the v7 [Quoted] installation and imp from the v8i oracle home.

regards

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA