Re: Forms 4.5 How- to Help requested

From: Guy <guycorbett_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 01:30:08 -0800

OPEN base_table_cursor;
> FETCH base_table_cursor INTO v_dummy;
> IF base_table_cursor%FOUND THEN
> --
> -- Record already exists
> --
> CLOSE base_table_cursor;

[Quoted] Thanks for the response but I think I did not make myself clear. I already have a piece of code similar to the above but the insert is initiated by a commit_form so what I can't work out is how to handle the condition where the record already exists. For a new record, when the user presses the 'Save' icon the commit_form will insert the new record, commit the changes and leave the user in the form with old and new records displayed. They want the same behaviour for 'insertion' of the records which already exist but are excluded by the where clause. In my handling of the record-already-exists condition above I can sort out the other table so that it is now included in the where clause but then what? If I allow the insert to continue it will fail because of the duplicate. If I try to rollback or requery the block I get an error saying this is not allowed in the pre-insert trigger. If this is not possible I can redesign the flow of the form but this is not really what the user wants. Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 10:30:08 CET

Original text of this message