Re: migration emergency !

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:49:44 +0100

Ron Reidy wrote:
> > But I've intended today to migrate from Oracle 8.0.5 to Oracle 8.1.7.

[snip]

> > Upgrade or migration cannot proceed beacause of the following(s) :
> > - following parameter(s) does not have 0 (zero) value : job_queue_processes
>
> It means the parameter job_queue_processes must have a non-zero value.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Now what additional help does your statement provide?

> Just out of curiosity, didn't you read the migration docs **before** you
> attempted this? And, didn't you test on a non-production system
> **before** attempting on a production system? just some things to
> ponder for the next time.
> --
> Ron Reidy
> Oracle DBA
> Reidy Consulting, L.L.C.

Is this the kind of help to expect, if you have problems with Oracle? ...people even making fun of you...

In my opinion a database engine should take care to migrate it's versions [Quoted] automatically, *without having to read documentation*, ideally without you even noticing anything but a startup message: "This database needs to be migrated. It will not be backward compatible. Proceed?"
[Quoted] ...especially on minor version changes like 8.0.5 to 8.1.7... All previous features should be available without worries. Why can't Oracle provide *easy* functionality, with all the money that they [Quoted] earn? I am afraid they don't even care.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger