Re: Developer/2000 Saving Word Docs to Forms

From: MarkyG <markg_at_mymail.tm>
Date: 10 Dec 2001 01:22:22 -0800

[Quoted] To save a word file (or any other binary file), you will need to use the BLOB datatype.

To save the word file to the database, you will have to use the DBMS_LOB package and write a procedure around that. To retrieve a binary file, if using Oracle Forms just to display the document on screen, it can be done but I cannot remember the exact method. If you want to retrieve the BLOB file from the database to a directory on the server, you will need to use the DBMS_LOB package again and write an external procedure in C to handle the writing of Binary data to the OS, DBMS_LOB and Oracle can only write ASCII data to file, that I can tell you from experience ;-)

MetaLink at www.oracle.com, in the support section tells you more on the subject.

HTH, M