Re: Data in TEMP tablespace is never cleared

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:52:37 +0100

On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 13:12:58 +0100, Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote:

>"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>
>>There is an article on exactly this problem at the FAQ available at
>>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/fulltemp.html
>
>All right, I read it.
>
>>A full temp tablespace should definitely not make the database unusable.
>
>In this case, the application fails and complains about not being able
>to extend space in TEMP. This is in clear contradiction to what you
>said. The DB is, of course, not "unusable", but THIS query won't run
>OK.
>
>Could it be that a particular query needs a minimum amount of space in
>TEMP to run through? So should I try to enlarge TEMP? (Originally, it
>was 8 GB, now it is 24 GB in size, the query still fails).
>
>Thanks
>
>Rick

Looks like one or two cases is correct
1) it is a query that needs to be tuned
2) the query is incorrect, you have a cartesian product in it (this usually results in observations like the one above)

Im both cases you should consider running explain plan and submit the query with sufficient detail to this newsgroup.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Dec 08 2001 - 15:52:37 CET

Original text of this message