Re: New to Oracle

From: Tom Grenier <tom_at_sqlman.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:58:52 -0800

Hi Greg,

I assume, from this posting, you didn't get any answers? Perhaps it's been asked and answered too many times already (although being new you wouldn't know that -- and I don't remember seeing your original post). Anyway...

You can download the engine, tools, most everything Oracle offers from the Oracle Technology Network ( http://technet.oracle.com/ ). You do have to join, but it's free and they don't bug you. The only caveat is -- it looks like you are in Australia -- I am not sure if there is a restriction on downloads from there. If you are blocked just contact a local Oracle salesman and you should be able to get engine, tools, etc. on CD for a nominal charge.

Documentation is also there -- and there are many third party books available. I've just started working through Tom Kyte's Expert One-on-one Oracle and so far it's the best I've run across.

You can also find answers to lots of questions from the newsgroup archives ( http://www.google.com ).

HTH,
Tom