ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

From: JL <jln.h.21_at_wol.es>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:05:48 +0100

[Quoted]     I have installed Oracle 8.16 on WindowsME and I have to included a line into the win.ini (like compatibility95...) to installed it. I try to connect SQL*Plus with login: INTERNAL and password ORACLE. I connect and receive "Connected to an inactive instance". When I write an SQL order, for example:

    drop table editorial cascade constraints;     or
    create table editorial (

        editorial varchar2(5) not null,
        name varchar2(20) not null,
        address varchar2(20) not null,
        constraint pk_editorial primary key (editorial)
    );
    I receive the following message:
    ERROR in line1
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    I try to connect with oder names like scott (password:tiger) but i can't connect. Please help me, i don't know what the problem is Received on Wed Nov 21 2001 - 23:05:48 CET

Original text of this message